India Summer

India Summer

Monday, January 9, 2012

Ventura Highway

Just about every day I drive up and down the Ventura Highway to work.  Many locals may take it for granted but to a girl who grew up in the midwest listening to and loving the song "Ventura Highway"by America, driving through those gorgeous green or moonlit hills that the 101 winds through, translates into a whole can of bitchin' beautiful groovy to me.  How bizarre and delightful to be roaming that road of improbable lore, this mystical Ventura highway and yes, jammin' out to the song simultaneously.

Sometimes when I'm driving and I spy some sweet ride with deeply tinted windows cruising by me at Warp six, I like to imagine to myself that Jeff Bridges and Joe Walsh are cruising in that car, cranking Hendrix and passing a doobie back and forth between them.  Joe is driving because his car goes 185. And then Tommy Chong in his deep stoner accent says, "Hey Man!  Don't Bogart that joint!  Pass it Back Man!"  Bridges and Walsh bust out laughing and Bridges, says, "I totally forgot he was back there Maaaaan!  More laughing and hotboxing.  Passed out on liquid GHB, Nolte is sleeping it off in the trunk.  Sometimes, that's what I like to think is happening in the cars passing by me...you know....'cause it could be....

India Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment